Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Calves

So Grooming Day went well, I got my steer and heifer all groomed and got their pictures taken. Yesterday I was working on washing my cow-calf project. My cow took a really long time because she is BIG she took a long time to wash and dry. Then I worked on my calf who is really cute, and I got him looking all pretty. He hasn't been washed before and he didn't really enjoy it, he kept moving around when I was trying to wash him.


And the fun part was trying to clip him, he didn't enjoy it so much at first but then he didn't really mind after a while. You always have to be really careful when clipping animals because they may try to kick you in the hand... that's why you should always Safety Up!


Speaking of calves, calving is one of the busiest times in the year for a farmer. Sometimes you have to get up at like 2:00 in the morning to go out and help a cow with calving. If the cow is having real trouble with the calf (this happens often with yearlings because they've never calved before) you may have to pull it. You have to wrap chains around it's front legs and pull it out of the cow. Our calving season is really early compared to other farms; we start calving in early January and sometimes even late December. Other farms may not start their calving until March or April. So that's calving, it's a hard process that we have to do for every single cow in the herd.

That's all and don't forget,  Safety Up!




-JT


1 comment:

  1. Looks like you got a lot of work done! I am assuming these are your 4-H projects. I was wondering what Safety Up means?
    www.crystalcattle.com

    ReplyDelete