Sunday, June 5, 2011

4-H on Parade

I haven't blogged in a while because of 4-H on Parade. For those who don't know, it is much like achievement day except with many other clubs from around the Calgary area. It was lots of fun and I took my steer, heifer, and cow/calf project. I didn't take my 3 year old because her calf is still very small and it just means less work for me. It went pretty well and we had lots of fun.
Showing
I'm happy with how my steer did, he came in 5th in his class which wasn't bad. I got $2.40 /lb for him in the sale, he weighed 1098lbs so I got around $2600. It was a pretty good weekend I'd say. Everyone in my club does this every year; they buy a calf at the beginning, raise it, and sell it at the end. It's a good experience and you gain lots of skills.



Fitting before the show.
Almost every year the 4-H on Parade committee comes up with something fun we do on Saturday night. This year we did a tug-of-war, the maximum for a team was 10 people so our club split into 2 teams. At the  beginning everyone was kind of skeptical about how fun it was going to be, but in the end everyone had a blast. We started and both our teams won their first game, we were happy as well as a little bit surprised. We kept playing and having fun and our confidence and celebrations increased. By the end both of our clubs were left and we had to face each other, although my team didn't win I was very proud that our club won gold and silver. It was lots of fun and I hope to do it again next year.



My Team





My Club

Overall, I enjoyed my presidential 4-H on Parade.


-JT

NEXT SAFETY VID!

No comments:

Post a Comment